Friday 8 May 2015

#45/ Earthenware pot




#45 / Earthenware pot

This is a quick study of a little earthenware pot sitting on an upturned palate in front of the door to the ‘Ecurie’ – what used to be the stable door where I now have my studio.
Half way through painting it my six year old son walked in and immediately declared...
‘Ooh, that’s nice, but… it’s all wrong’
‘What’s wrong’? I asked indignantly.
‘It’s too tall in your painting and it should be wider’ he replied nonchalantly.
I looked again at my efforts and lo and behold – (and to my shame) the boy was right.
After studying art for twenty years in some of the finest art institutions in the world, I was cut down to size in two brief sentences by the smallest art critic I have ever come across! Other than one tutor saying than my painting of a rose I had made at art school looked like a chicken, I don’t think I have felt more inadequate…
Still, here it is (post critique) my painting…


Lessons learned:
Remember the basics
Don’t hurry your drawing
If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again
How great it is to have such a perceptive six year old who is able to see an object, compare it to what has been drawn, see the error in the drawing and know how to correct it.
At least I know I’ve done something right!     

No comments:

Post a Comment