Monday 11 May 2015

#46 / Pewter and Earthenware




#46 / Pewter and Earthenware

I spent many days when I was a younger man sitting as a gallery attendant in the Estorick Gallery of Modern Italian Art in London admiring the work of Giorgio Morandi whose etchings adorned the walls and whose paintings where displayed in a dedicated exhibition during my first few weeks as an employee.
The more I looked, the more intense and loaded the still lives became. The subtleties in tone, the painfully careful drawing, the application of paint. It seems so simple, but nothing can take more effort and concentration. From the placement of the objects, their colour, the surface they are sitting on, the background, the sizes, the shapes.

I can’t say I’ve managed to achieve a Morandi here – but I enjoyed the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment