Tuesday 5 May 2015

#43 / ‘Le Pont D’Avignon’ (or) ‘Pont Saint Bénezet’







#43 / ‘Le Pont D’Avignon’ (or) ‘Pont Saint Bénezet’

Rather irritatingly I had the song ‘Sur le Pont D’Avignon’ running on loop in my head as I painted this… As far as I can remember it was one of the first songs we learnt in French at school in England with our wonderful French teacher, Mme Moir. Avignon is the administrative capital of the Vaucluse… as far as I know it is the only place you can exchange foreign currencies within a 40 mile radius!
Again I have John Singer Sargent’s paintings of Venice in mind whenever water and buildings come together. Here I’m trying to distance myself from getting caught up in detail and focus on broader areas of tone and colour only indicating architectural details with the least amount of detail I can get away with.

No comments:

Post a Comment